NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY (MAHIKENG CAMPUS) FACULTY OF ECONOMIC AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES SCHOOL/DEPARTMENT OFFICE OF THE DEPUTY DEAN COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT POSITION NUMBER: M000534 VACANCY: DIRECTOR (Supplementary role 5-year fixed-term) AND PROFESSOR (permanent position): RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT. Purpose of the position: To create a culture of research excellence in the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences by instilling a passion and desire for collaborative research within the academic staff members and postgraduate student with a view to stimulate research outputs across campuses.
- Preparation and implementation of a strategic research plan for the development of research within the research strategy of the university and the faculty/faculties.
- Provide expert guidance, innovation and initiative with regards to research development in the Faculty. Implementation of applicable quality promotion and assurance systems and mechanisms to ensure high-quality research outputs. Recruitment of suitable Masters and Doctorate students in the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences.
- Motivate and develop researchers to become self-sufficient in terms of significant research projects. Provide leadership and research support relating to administrative and management actions as required. Liaise with research entities and institutional research committees. Selection of researchers for participation in research development. Provide support to staff members in the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences with their research journeys to increase research outputs. Assist staff in identifying funding opportunities and applying for funding.
- Planning and organisation of ways to market research development. by entering into income-driven research contracts and undertaking research projects for which there is a market. Development of a positive image through effective liaison and marketing. Development of own professional and academic leadership and management skills, with a view to high-level expert guidance and research management.
- Organisation and coordination of resources such as finance and equipment for the achievement of research goals
- A relevant PhD qualification.
- Ten years’ experience in Higher Education or similar environments.
- Two years management.
- Proven track record in research.
- An accreditation as an NRF Rated Researcher is desirable.
- Proof of funding procurement and application is desirable.
- Leadership and vision in order to support novice researcher’s students and staff members.
- Able to work independently.
- Proven critical thinking and analytical skills are essential.
- The candidate must be able to effectively relate to people.
- The candidate must be able to participate in problem-solving strategies