Listing reference: nwu_001563
Listing status: Online
Apply by: 24 March 2023
Industry: Education & Training
Job category: University and Academy
Contract: Fixed Term Contract
Remuneration: Market Related
EE position: Yes
NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY (POTCHEFSTROOM CAMPUS) DIVISION: LANGUAGE DIRECTORATE POSITION NUMBER: N000745 POSITION: RESEARCHER PEROMNES GRADE: A8 EMPLOYMENT TYPE: FIXED-TERM APPOINTMENT
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
To conduct high quality research within area of responsibility and publish research findings. This position must support the unit with any research related activities to ensure achievement of relevant research outputs.
1. Conduct Research:
· Plan and execute research Projects in the Language Directorate.
· Conduct basic and or applied research in the LD.
· Analyse and interpret research data.
· Present research in high-quality research reports.
· Publish Research findings.
· Disseminate research findings at National and International conferences/workshops.
· Stay up to date with the most recent developments within the research field and apply them to your own research.
· Attend and participate in research meetings.
2. Teaching and Learning:
· Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of Faculty Language Plans
· Provide input and share research findings in classes and workshops within the research area as and when required.
· Present research findings at relevant national and International platforms.
· Implement research findings within communities as and when required
3. Research support:
· Coordination of research projects within the Language Directorate to effect synergy between research and activities pertaining to student development on the one hand and staff development on the other.
· Provide inputs into the design for further SLPs for multilingual pedagogies and liaise with language groups in Education and Humanities regarding contents where needed, and
· Coordinate the development of concepts critical to support effective translanguaging in the classroom
· Assist in the development of Design the M&E process to capture feedback and learning from the implementation of the SLPs and their activation of the learning in classrooms in Faculties (in accordance with the Language Plans).
· A Masters’ degree (NQF Level 9) in African Languages or Translation or Linguistics or Terminology development or an M.Ed. in Language Practice or related field of specialisation.
· A minimum of 5 years’ teaching experience or assistance in teaching at a tertiary level.
· Evidence of independence and initiative in research, applied or creative works.
· A PhD (NQF Level 10) in African Languages or Translation or Linguistics or Terminology development or related field of specialisation.
KEY FUNCTIONAL/ TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES:
· Computer literacy in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), email and internet.
· Knowledge of research methodologies and techniques.
· Project management experience.
· Analysis experience.
· Participation in research activities associated with language pedagogy in the broad area of focus in the Higher Education sphere.
· Produce high-quality, accredited and peer-reviewed research outputs associated with multilingual pedagogies in higher education.
· Effective communication skills
· Good interpersonal relations and a client-service orientation.
· Demonstration of language proficiency to function optimally in the various functionally multilingual environments of the NWU.
· The ability to function well individually and as part of a team/subject group.
· Good analytical abilities and innovative thinking, as well as ability to be self-driven.
· The ability to solve problems independently.
· Good Time-management and problem solving skills.
· Good planning and organising skills as well as good report writing skills.
· A high level of professional and ethical conduct.
The annual total remuneration package will be commensurate with the level of appointment as advertised and in line with the NWU policy guidelines.
ENQUIRIES REGARDING JOB CONTENT MAY BE DIRECTED TO: Dr Keaobaka Seshoka, Tel: 018 299 4700/4445
ENQUIRIES REGARDING RECRUITMENT PROCESS MAY BE DIRECTED TO: Mr Rabs Diratsagae, Tel: 018 299 4797
CLOSING DATE: 24 March 2023
PLANNED COMMENCEMENT OF DUTIES: As soon as possible
Kindly take note: applications must be submitted online through the official nwu vacancy website.
Incomplete applications and those submitted through any other platform will not be considered.
The University subscribes to and applies the principles of Employment Equity (EE) Act and is committed to transformation. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the EE Act and NWU Employment Equity Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.
If you are not contacted within two months from the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.